Wednesday 6 February 2008

MT Week 2

Hello friends,

Wish you and your family a very very Happy Dashera.....

Paying Dues
Before I start, I have a confession to make. During the engineering, a metrosexual friend of mine had a haircut. He paid almost twice as much to normal for that special cut from a luxury barber shop. But it turned out very pathetic and that guy was looking like.......... well very bad.... and I didn’t waste a single opportunity to make fun of that high price cut (Suneet, do you remember him???)..... And yesterday I paid my due for the fun I made. I paid almost 40 times more than my friend. But due to cultural difference (as I am calling it now) and miscommunication, it has turned out so bad that even the dogs in Kothrud would have hated themselves for having that kind of cut.... And too bad that I had to go to Dandiya with that cut. People made special arrangements to take my photographs and laugh at me..... Anyways.... Duniya gol hai aur har pap ka ek double role hai....

Week 2
So... week 2 was as busy as week 1 if not busier. Apart from lectures, we submitted our first assignment this week and while I am writing this mail, my group mate is about submit the second. These assignments are time consuming and the most stressing part is getting all the big shot, egoistic, competitive and arrogant MBAs work together and agree on one thing. I have a feeling that our group is not doing particularly well in that aspect. Nonetheless we are about to send second assignment. On Monday or Tuesday we should gate the grades of first assignment and then only we will know how good or bad we are.

Finding myself
Apart from that we had couple of personality tests, one by careers office for job assistance. That test says that I am perfect to work as a project manager of Science and R n D project. But OK to work as a consultant. Anyway I had a much awaited meeting with Sector Consultant of Management consultancy and he seemed to be satisfied with my CV. Bdw our school has a strict CV format and all CVs are one page only. I kindda liked that format.
The another test was a part of Developing Effective Managers (DEM) course. That tests results are measured in five areas and my results are as below
1. Emotionality
I am responsive, calm and very hard to embarrass or shame. But I am Quick to anger and very hot blooded (can you believe this?????.... ;-) )
2. Extraversion
I am perfect ambivert. Neither introvert not extrovert at all.....
3. Openness
I am conserver with moral absolutes and occasional daydreamer. But I am very much like a explorer, Experimental, abstract, speculative and novelty seeker.
4. Agreeableness
I am frank and open and am negotiator. But I am very competitive, pushy and fighter... (again... can you believe this :-P )
5. Conscientiousness
Well mostly balanced. Well prepared and confident, striving very hard to success, follows rules but sometimes disorganised.

Job
Had quite a few presentations by companies. Again most of them were for undergrads, but we MBAs went there anyways. Got some contacts and lots of free stuff like pens, kitchen, back sack. I had such a great talk with a representative from Diamond that she gave me pen drive of 128 MB. But overall job seems to be very tough task.

Socializing
Other than that had couple of dinners with friends. On Friday, during happy hour, I was asking people about dinner plans. Couple of girls responded as if I am asking for the date...So finally, I decided to cook at home. Couple of friends heard that and joined me. Still many people were calling each other about the plans for dinner and somehow many of them got a news that a great Indian food is going to be served at my place. At the end almost 15 people -not all Indians- dropped in to my kitchen. My kitchen is shared between six people and still is very small.... It is just 10 x 5.... We ate everything I had, and as we were running out of space we spilled outside the kitchen at the space reserved for fire exit... But we had fun.

Dandiya
And the best part of the week. We had DANDIYA yesterday. First time in Oxford. No need to tell how much I enjoyed. Played from 2030 to 0100 in the morning. At the end I was not able to even move my leg. But almost no one knew Dandiya there. And literally no boy / man knew it. So I was in very much demand and played with only elegant of them..... you know what I mean ;-)... And also worked as a part time teacher of Dandiya for some non-Indians.
Here are some snaps of Dandiya.... Many more to come from other friends. Will send the links as and when I get them.....

Oxford Dandiya


So this was week 2. We have total 8 weeks in first term. That means almost 25% is done. And ready for next gruelling 120 hours of life till Happy hour of Friday.

No comments: