Wednesday 6 February 2008

MT Week 7

A week of great depression it was.

It started OK on Monday. We had loads of assignments due. I was doing major work in most of them. But I was all great with everything and world was a nice place to be in.

And then BANG!!!... .First rejection in years. I had applied to Diamond Management consulting. I met the people two time and made a good impression. I thought it is a good fit for me. I did my research and everything. In short I did almost everything written in the book before applying. And then I applied and got a rejection. What the heck? Not even interview call. Straight away rejection. Fundamentally unsuitable candidate... Didn’t get any rejection since I got job in Kanbay. Then the jobs applied, schools applied and even some other aspects of life, no rejection for long. And here it comes.

Now I think it is good that it happened and it happened early. Though I was knowing that being in Oxford is not passport to any job and I need to work really hard for job. I know that many Indians from last batch of the profile same as mine and interested in the industry same as I am are still looking for the job. But somewhere I was feeling that it won’t happen to me. And now that it has happened I know where I stand and where I need to go. I was thinking that I won the biggest batter in career when I got into Oxford. And I am not only glad but also thrilled and fascinated to know that there are many more to come. (I know thinking like this won’t get me a job... but just trying to be dramatic )

But this was not it. There was the best formal dinner of the term this Friday. Templeton Black Tie Dinner. Last week I didn’t register for it because I didn’t have company and I thought it will be boring. But then On Monday and Tuesday I was asked out for the dinner. Such a shame I couldn’t make it there. So week end went really boring. No party on Saturday night either. Just busy in work.

And then today I twisted and hurt my figure at rugby so very bad that it is swollen to double its size. And it is hurting to type. I have couple of more sad storied but I think you got how this week sucked to I will stop whining.

Silicon Valley

As I mentioned last week, on Monday many people from silicon valley came to oxford. There were so many big names that I won’t even bother to write all, But founders of Twitter and Creative head of Google, Chris Sacca and few more were there. It was great event. Great session. But I really didn’t know how to use it for my benefit and I got bored. I mean if I talk for 45 seconds with Chris Sacca, I am not going to get job in Google. In fact he won’t even remember me unless I am damn too genius, which I am not. So what is the point in being selfish and greedy to grab him and talk to him. But eventually my EP project partner (see note at the end about EP) who really is genius from IIT talked to Jerry who is kindda interesting person in Silicon Valley (Harvard Business School wrote a case on him, known as Jerry Sanders’ case. This guy was fired from every job he had and later on he started number of companies in California) . Couple of his companies are kindda same as our EP project so I have made a nice presentation to send to him and he might help him.
I need to learn the skill of making impression in 30 seconds and talk to people about whom you don’t really care. This is the side of MBA I really don’t like. Anyways....

But it was great to be in the same room where few of the most innovative minds in the world are... Great event. So sad that I couldn’t exploit it.

Academic

Tonight I am about to finish the last assignment of this term. The last one. I don’t believe the end of first term is here. I still remember the first group meeting and how we were surprised and worried about how are we going to finish all the eleven assignments seven weeks. And here we are about to submit the last one. We did average in all assignment getting about 65 in each of them. It exactly there average. So we are neither doing good or bad. Although it was really a different experience working in a group. I already talked to you about the group. But what I didn’t know at that time was where there last degree is from. We are six people overall. One is from Harvard, One is from UCLA, One is from Cambridge, One is from IIT and One is from IIM (yes he already is MBA). So how does WIT sounds in front of them??? But I must mentioned that I never felt intimidated by these guys. I never felt they are way too smarter than me. In face I could have chopped down there arguments into pieces if I wanted to. But everyone’s way of thinking is different and amazing. I liked that.

And finally I have got a study partner (or atleast it looks like it). I was so used to study with partner in engineering that it was hard to study alone. But now we meet today and decided to study together till exam. We have formed a tentative timetable of study as well. Coming week is the last week of this term. Then we have one week for preparation and them exam from 10 to 14. Six papers in four days and you have to wear a subfusc for exams. Isn’t that interesting?

Epilogue

So here I am. Hurt and depressed. Challenged and so bounced. Nostalgic, worried, intimidated and unpolished. So lots of chances for improvement and again, Mile to go before I sleep

No comments: