Wednesday 6 February 2008

MT Week 9 (Preparation Leave)

Alright. This is gonna be short.

Week

Study all the week. Most of the time in college library. Remembering and missing the old PL days. But here there are range of people and range of talents. Like there are people who are studying all the day and half of the night along while interestingly about 30% of the class went to Oxford-Cambridge varsity rugby match in London on Thursday (of course I didn’t go). And some people are just genius and know everything. While some people are really struggling. Anyways I think I did fair job. I studied almost as much as I planned throughout the week... well except Friday. On Friday I was supposed to study Developing Effective Managers while Sabina still wanted to study Economics. So we decided to study separately. Apparently I studied almost nothing that day. But it was a fantastic day and most memorable of the week. Had nice Malay lunch with Sunil Goyal and then Carmen in the evening.

Carmen

Carmen is one of the best classics opera for almost a century. The first show was played more than 100 years ago. It is French opera. You can find more about it at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmen
The theatre is just near my place. From outside it is a weird red building. Looks like any Laxminarayan talkies in a town in Inida. But when we went inside, we couldn’t believe it is so big. This is a real opera house. Three stories of sitting arrangement. The stage was a also big and as tall as the building. There was a live music. So all the players were sitting next to the stage. And the complete opera is in French with English subtitles. How come there are subtitles for opera??? If you are reading carefully than you might ask this question. Well... no big brainer. They actually had a sign board at the top of the stage displaying the subtitles. The actors were good. It is one of the most seductive operas and it was like that.... But the way they performed it naturally on stage was really good. It has a donkey and horse in it. Apparently both the animals are famous and they even had their names advertised. And it turned out that the lead male character is such a looser in the opera that Sabina liked the donkey most and Margarette liked the horse most. There was a supporting actress who was playing the role of the ‘next door, simple, nice, village girl’ which I liked the most. And then there was the role of Carmen. She was pretty and good actor too. But she cannot be liked by really nice gentlemen. So apparently I didn’t either.

But overall it was great break. Thanks Jitin for arranging it. And the experience to watch the opera with live music and all the stage setting skills of Brits and the ambience of an old and great theatre was awesome. Hopefully I will see more of these in UK.

Exams

So here I am. From tomorrow exams in subfusc. The exam venue is pretty far and I have arranged a shared taxi with couple of more MBAs. Hopefully everything will be on time.
Bdw Thanks guys for your wishes. Next time I will be through the first term of the MBA at Oxford. That means I would have lived the quarter of my dream. Cool.

No comments: